Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I love the smell of democracy in the morning

Smells like ... victory

It's a beautiful morning here in Appleton, Wisconsin. A gorgeous sunrise erupted into a cloudless sky as I went to vote. Nothing but white faces in line. I was decked out in my Obama t-shirt, so no one really even looked me in the eye, much less talked to me. I did get a quiet thumbs up from a mom with her young son, but that was it. This is, after all, the home of the John Birch Society. They may have been prattling on about The Pack or where to get the best cheese curds, but they all looked uneasy, like they knew something big and new was coming.

We have the chance to change things today. We're in a hole the likes of which some of us have not seen in our lifetimes, and it will take everything we've got to get out of it. But as America looks into that deep, dark truthful mirror today, I think enough of us will say enough and elect Barack Obama president.

Yes. We. Can.

No comments: