Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Heart Cognitive Dissonance


I was watching the teevee last night and that Wendy's ad came on that uses the Violent Femmes classic, "Blister In the Sun".

It's nearly impossible to imagine some Marketing Exec explaining how this song could possibly sell burgers, but just to confirm my assertion, let's examine the lyrics, shall we?...

Blister In The Sun

When I'm out walking I strut my stuff yeah I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite I just might stop to check you out
let me go on
like I blister in the sun
let me go on big hands I know you're the one
body and beats I stain my sheets I don't even know why
my girlfriend she's at the end she is starting to cry
let me go on
like I blister in the sun
let me go on
big hands I know you're one

Oh well, I guess if Iggy can sell Carnival Cruises and DEVO can sell Swiffers, the drug laced mastabatory fantasies of Gordon Gano can peddle Doubles with cheese.

No comments: