Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Sweeney Todd


Okay, so I'll admit to being both a big Tim Burton fan as well as a ardent Sondheim devotee. I've loved Sweeney Todd since I first heard the original cast album and saw Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett on my first ever trip to NYC.

However, as much as I really wanted to dig the new film version, nothing prepared me for how marvelous it is. Depp is great, Helena Bonham Carter is brilliant as Mrs. Lovett and the overall Burtonesque feel of the film is spot on.

My Christmas morning recommendation to all you LM Soupers out there is to run, not walk, to the nearest cinema show and GO SEE THIS MOVIE. If you're not familiar with this musical event, be prepared for the fact that there is very little dialogue; that it's nearly an opera and, in the grand guignol tradition of graphic violence, it's terribly bloody.

It's the first time in a long while that both myself and the missus walked out of a film proclaiming sheer joy at the thing that we had just seen and vowed that when it's released on DVD, we're procuring a copy for ourselves...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so did you like the film.