Friday, August 20, 2010

Nature Boy




So, a couple of weeks ago I noticed an inordinate volume of bird poop running down the trunk of the big maple tree in front. A couple of days later, I see this very prehistoric looking bird fly up into the tree and settle there. It appeared to be some kind of miniature stork/blue heron looking kind of thing.

Well, the other day I was cutting the grass. I look down and there is a half eaten fish about 2-3 inches long.

Now I'm intrigued.

I start doing some research on the innertubes and I think it's some variant strain of a cormorant.

Just a few minutes ago, Georgene is pulling out to go meet some friends for cocktails since I have a rehearsal tonite. She calls me from the driveway. She says look out the window quick... the bird is back. He was right outside the picture window and then flew up into the tree. I ran out and got these rather fuzzy but definable shots and I then also found another fish on the ground being mauled by some bees.

We live a good couple of miles from the Rocky River which feeds directly into the lake. Cormorants are definitely water fowl. He's completely out of his element, Donnie. How and why this noble beast has chosen to take up residence in my front yard is a mystery, but I dig it entirely.

I'm calling the Metroparks Nature center tomorrow and see how common a phenomenon this actually is around here.

Wow.

4 comments:

MindfulHal said...

This is the coolest thing I've read in a while. It's amazing, truly, the little gems of wonder that fall around us in nature.

Cleveland Bob said...

Hal, I know, right?

Have a great weekend, my dear friend.

Cleveland Jeff said...

You're completely out of your element, Donnie. I love it.

If he sticks around, you should name him Donny for sure.

Anonymous said...

DUH! The reason he's living in your front yard is that he knows you guys are the coolest couple in Fairview. Worth the trouble of flying. Keep us posted.