Friday, February 18, 2011

2011- A Space Oddity


Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

When Ken Jennings stated the other night on the Watson/Human showdown on Jeopardy, “I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords", I winced a little at his joke.

While there are many cool and interesting applications for this brand of machine intelligence, it has its dark side as well. Why, for instance, do folks get all hinchy when any mention of human or animal cloning comes up, yet an artificial intelligence device is viewed as harmless and cute. Just sayin'.

This kind of machine has some very far reaching implications on history, science and the origins of free thought. I'm not saying that it is H.A.L., but it's hardly an insignificant toy.

The potential for this brand of AI is massive. Can you say Military Industrial Complex. Yeah, I thought that you could.

No comments: