Thursday, March 13, 2008

Howard Metzenbaum


I shook Metzenbaum's hand one time at a fund raiser for John Gilligan, (who by the way is the dad of the current Governor of Kansas, Kathleen Sebelius) at the Aurora Memorial Library circa 1971. I was in 7th grade and as I recall Dave and I were rocking out at the time to GFR. Deep Purple and the Allman's. In short, it was a long, long time ago.

RIP Senator.

An unapologetic liberal, Metzenbaum helped pass measures to strengthen workers and consumers' rights, including a bill to provide employees with 60 days' notice of plant closings. He also promoted the Brady bill, which mandated a waiting period when buying a handgun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember a little more James Taylor and Guess Who from that time, but surely Grand Funk had made it's way to the turntable by then, courtesy of same said library.

I met Howie, too. When I was a busmonkey at the Aurora Inn he stayed there and I brought room service to him. Musta been around '74. Didn't tip me.